My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I have been married to my hunky husband, Jeff, for 21 years! We have three quirky but quite wonderful children--Brittany (20) David (17) and Christian (14); two neurotic dogs and six black cats. Life is always chaotic in our home, yet I never give up hope that one day I will finally achieve my dream of domestic organization

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Well I hope you all had a delightful Mother's Day! Mine was quite nice. Jeff and Brittany prepared a tasty lunch (bbq steak, corn, asparagus, mashed potatoes and perhaps the most delicious bread ever!) and even better, the whole gang cleaned up the kitchen while I sat comfortably in the recliner, perusing through a host of television shows. I believe I'd like to celebrate Mother's Day more often.

Brittany is turning into a pretty good cook. We've come up with a good working arrangement several nights a week where she cooks, I clean up! This is agreeable to all involved since she HATES doing dishes which I don't mind much at all, while I am not a big fan of cooking and she enjoys it a great deal. I am happy that she will go into adulthood better equipped to feed her family than I was (although, evidence would show that we've done alright!) I remember my mother as a pretty good cook (with exception to her stroganoff and the spam and pineapple number!) but she didn't pass these skills on much. I have a distinct memory of calling her about a month after I got married to find out how to hard boil eggs. There was a salmon casserole incident early on that Jeff still likes to bring up and I have not fried chicken since I was 19 due to some lasting emotional scarring I received from the experience. It took nearly five years before my in-laws asked me to contribute anything more than a relish tray and soda pop for holiday gatherings.

We have been in the process of painting Brittany's room a lovely, sunny yellow. Home improvement projects are always a bit of an adventure around our home. I am a terrible perfectionist, without the skills to accomplish what I desire. Jeff is neither a perfectionist nor a skilled carpenter, but he has a willing heart! We ran into a bit of a snag with the taping. Brittany's room has high ceilings, and Jeff was the only one who could get high enough on the ladder to reach them. I think I am pretty lucky I didn't get paint poured on my head as I stood below him critiquing his tape alignment. We haven't removed the tape as of yet, but I am determined to hold my tongue should the paint line be less than perfect.

If we stay on track from here on out, I believe Christian will complete the 4th grade on June 6, a mere 6 days behind schedule. I have been having a rough homeschooling month, however I've been assured by homeschool veterans, that the last month of the school year is notoriously challenging. I seem to be spending a good deal of my time getting after the boy, and often fear that his memories of his mother will forever be accompanied by the sound of a cracking whip! Or perhaps worse, a hissing cat!

Well, were off to another baseball game tonight. Between baseball, golf, tennis, both David and Brittany working, and orthodontist appointments, it seems I'm wearing my chauffer hat a lot lately. I've stocked the car with a selection of scrapbooking magazines to amuse myself with between pick-ups! Now if I could just figure out a way to set up a work station in there too, I could really be productive! I believe there might be some potential profit in this idea. For the dedicated gal in last month's issue who spends 6-7 hours a day scrapbooking, this might enable her to really commit herself to the craft!

I'm off for now. I am going to attempt to get a load of laundry actually folded and put away! I am setting high goals for myself these days!

1 Comments:

Blogger Julie Danielle said...

I love that Brittany's room will be yellow. I love color in a house :)

I am still working on learning how to cook. It's been hard with the morning sickness but I am trying.

Hope the next few weeks go a little easier for you and I really like the idea of a work station in a car. Maybe someday :)

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home