My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I have been married to my hunky husband, Jeff, for 21 years! We have three quirky but quite wonderful children--Brittany (20) David (17) and Christian (14); two neurotic dogs and six black cats. Life is always chaotic in our home, yet I never give up hope that one day I will finally achieve my dream of domestic organization

Saturday, September 16, 2006

ENOUGH QUIRKINESS TO GO AROUND!

I do believe my children are just quirky enough to provide me with substantial blog material for the rest of my life, or at the very least while I have enough of my wits about me to compose a lucid paragraph. It is David's turn on the chopping blog this time. He is probably my least frequent target, mainly due to the fact that he enjoys being embarrassed even less than his siblings. Christian is the least self-conscious person I've ever known, actually it is near impossible to embarrass him, and Brittany of course is vain enough to enjoy seeing her name in print regardless of the content! David is strung just a bit tighter! Contrary to the opinion of one family member (you now who you are!) who feels that my children being the constant fodder for my ramblings is perhaps a painful thing, I do not print anything that I have not had preapproved by the target of my musings! The one exception to this was the year I reported in my annual Christmas letter that David was finally bathing voluntarily! And yes, he was a bit mortified and therefore I have attempted to make it up to him by keeping him out of the limelight. His time of respite is over. I do believe he just might be my quirkiest child yet! Now he doesn't hold a candle to Christian when it comes to spontaneous bursts of surprising behavior, but rather his is a planned and very deliberate quirkiness!

He recently discovered an old pair of his Grandpa Graves glasses in the glove compartment of his car. Not only are they bifocals, but they are very large, thick-rimmed spectacles. David wore them to school. I know this because his sister told me. Apparently she fielded questions throughout the day such as "What is wrong with your brother?" While his fellow freshman nerds found it hilarious, Brittany's response to the numerous queries... "He's a dork!" I'm pretty sure that had already been firmly established after David and his friends played "Chuck, Chuck, Norris" (their version of "Duck, Duck, Goose") in the middle of the school cafeteria.

To understand David, you must take a glimpse into what he loves. If one were to check out his myspace page you would glean a bit of insight into his world. His heroes: Chuck Norris and Monty Python. His biggest fear: Chuck Norris' bad side. His goal for this year: to bring tube socks back into style... of course once achieved, he would no longer wear them! He likes to be different, but it is a carefully orchestrated difference. An "I'm a nerd, but I know I'm a nerd and therefore I'm cool" kind of thing. As his mother, on one hand I find his quest to be unique very endearing, on the other hand, occasionally embarrassing. To be sure, these children of mine keep life interesting. I never know what the next day might bring, which is okay by me, predictability is overrated anyhow!

7 Comments:

Blogger Ando said...

David is my new hero. It took me at least until my senior year to have the courage to act like a goof-ball. Huzzah!

11:26 AM  
Blogger Becca Sports said...

Bravo once again! You have provided me with a good laugh :)I think that it is great that David can just be himself. I live the way his big sister stood up for him! :)

1:40 PM  
Blogger jenylu said...

You go Dave!
And BTW, voluntary bathing is a cool thing, nothing to be embarassed about there--I think we just about have everyone in our house to that stage as well, except for Beamer.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

This made me laugh and laugh - David must be like my brother - because those glasses are definitely something he would have worn to school too! I must meet your children someday!

6:49 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

That is so funny! I'd laugh out loud, but I'm in the library... :o)

12:38 PM  
Blogger J Crew said...

Chuck Chuck Norris. That is awesome. I want to play that. Maybe instead of tagging the person, you should drop kick them or something

4:19 PM  
Blogger Peter Brown said...

Dorytoo-

"What does :) mean?"

It means your very new to this, but that's okay.
:) is a smily face. on it's side.

Lots of variations

:P

:o

/:{>

: )|)

Have fun!

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home