My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I have been married to my hunky husband, Jeff, for 21 years! We have three quirky but quite wonderful children--Brittany (20) David (17) and Christian (14); two neurotic dogs and six black cats. Life is always chaotic in our home, yet I never give up hope that one day I will finally achieve my dream of domestic organization

Thursday, September 14, 2006

MY 4th GRADE CASANOVA!

















I had a funny thing happen at church last night... I work in our "Just for Kid's program" (basically a generic version of Awana) with the 3rd and 4th graders. I enjoy this age quite a bit, they are funny and precocious and just shy of that impending hormonal stage. An extra perk is getting to work with my own child and having an opportunity to observe his interaction with his peers. Usually my keen observation is rewarded with a few good armpit burps and a chicken dance or two. Last night however, I was able to watch with amusement as two older women (5th graders) tried in vain to catch the eye of my completely clueless son. At the end of the evening they sidled up to me and asked, "Are you Christian's mom?" I confirmed I was indeed! They went on to inform me that, "Everyone at school really loves Christian!" I expressed my pleasure and added that I too love him of course. This is where it got good... they elaborated "they don't just love him, they (you really need a visual here, but she then made kissie noises and fanned her face with her lips puckered) Luuuuuuuuuhhhvvvve him!" At this point I was just glad one of those spontaneous snort-laughs didn't burst out of me as a million quirky things about Christian passed through my mind (oh say, having to tell him not to lick people on the bus, the pleasure he derives from Captain Underpants books, the fact that he doesn't think being threatened with the possibility of moving into Calli's doghouse with her much of a threat at all, the fact that by the time I push him into the shower each night he actually smells like he has been living in Calli's doghouse with her, need I go on?) Now, while I think Christian is absolutely adorable, and his enthusiastic approach to life while being exhausting at times, is really very endearing, it amused me to no end to contemplate Christian being viewed as an object of romantic notions! Perhaps it's the "new boy" syndrome, or maybe the unmistakable allure of the formerly homeschooled, or I suppose it could be his new green and red sneakers that he loves dearly. I really don't remember what I looked for in a fellow in the 4th grade, but I am pretty sure it is not his suave, debonair way with the ladies.

Jeff and I are still not too sure we are even ready for Brittany to be dating, and David is just now starting to talk to girls, so needless to say, I am eager for Christian to remain a little boy for as long as possible. My fears were sufficiently relieved by his response to the whole matter... he wanted to know who said these offensive things so he could flatten them. Ahhhh, life is never dull with my 4th grade Casanova!

10 Comments:

Blogger Peter Brown said...

Love the picture!

And his reaction sound spot on for my slightly foggy memory of 4th grade boy.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Julie Danielle said...

LOL...I think what scares me is that Christian was about Daniel's age when I first met you guys and now girls are following him. That is scary!!!

1:12 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

I still remember the year at family camp when you brought a lease to attach to his overalls. :o) He was everywhere!!

3:20 PM  
Blogger jenylu said...

Cute picture lover boy!!:) Maybe Christian can give Johnny some tips so all the girls will luuuuuuuuuuuv him too!

3:20 PM  
Blogger Ando said...

Ok, thre things....

1. "unmistakable allure of the formerly homeschooled" may be one the funniest lines ever blogged.

2. It could definitely be his Mexico sneakers.

3. You need to start a new blog called 4th Grad Cassanova dedicated solely to all things Christian.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

This was a great post and made me want to meet Christian. I loved the pic - that is priceless!!!!!! Thanks for sharing! Yes, keep him young as long as possible! I love his response.

12:10 AM  
Blogger Becca Sports said...

:)
Like I told you the other day, your posts always make me laugh! I finally joined the blogging club. I'm still trying to figure out how to get my profile to be displayed on the first page. Any hints?

9:35 AM  
Blogger J Crew said...

Christian is the Matt Damon of Indiana.

12:01 PM  
Blogger jbau said...

Christian, make sure you play hard to get. The ladies like that.

11:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

blog free hot layout myspace

10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home